[The sound of swords crashing together fills the forest.]
SOLDIER 1
Keep fighting!
SOLDIER 2
We are being overwhelmed!
[Enters RANULF on stage with sword in hand.]
RANULF
Fight to the end!
[Fighting continues for a few more moments.]
[SOLDIER 1 is stabbed.]
SOLDIER 1
[falls to the ground]
Ugh…
SOLDIER 2
[striking ENEMY SOLDIER]
Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
[Another ENEMY SOLDIER strikes down SOLDIER 2.]
SOLDIER 2
[falls to the ground]
O…
RANULF
[Looking around]
NO!!!!!!!!!!
[Rain began to fall through the trees.]
[RANULF begins backing away slowly, then bumps into a tree.]
RANULF
This looks like the end of me…
[Three ENEMY SOLDIERS corner RANULF to the tree]
RANULF
Then so be it…
[lunges at ENEMY SOLDIER in front of him]
[A brief exchange of blows and RANULF slays the first ENEMY SOLDIER.]
RANULF
[turning to his left]
Ya!
[RANULF takes a few steps engages the second ENEMY SOLDIER. ENEMY SOLDIER falls. As RANULF turns to last ENEMY SOLDIER, a sword is thrust through him.]
RANULF
[stops moving]
Damn…
[ENEMY SOLDIER pulls out sword and runs off stage.]
RANULF
[falling to his knees]
So that’s it?
[Struggling with pain]
What will happen…no…
[Falling to the ground]
[After a few moments of silence, DEATH enters]
DEATH
[Looking around at all the dead, he takes a deep breath.]
Ahhh…I just love the smell of new recruits!
[DEATH begins to stroll about the stage, admiring the dead with an occasional smile or chuckle.]
[After seeing everyone, he walks to the middle of the bodies and faces audience.]
DEATH
[With a strong voice]
Rise!
[After a few moments, all characters begin to wake up and get up. They begin to look around confused.]
DEATH
[Laughing to himself]
They are so funny when they first rise…
[All characters, excluding DEATH and RANULF, are now known as the DEAD SOLDIERS.]
[RANULF copies the DEAD SOLDIERS]
[DEATH continues to stand still in his middle spot]
DEAD SOLDIERS
[Wandering about imaginary circle around group]
What is going on?
DEATH
[Answering the questions]
Isn’t it obvious?
DEAD SOLDIERS
What happened to me?
DEATH
You haven’t noticed the big chunk of flesh missing from yourself?
DEAD SOLDIERS
Didn’t I die?
DEATH
Ya sure you bechya did!
DEAD SOLDIERS
Then what’s going to happen to me?
DEATH
[Excited at the question]
And THAT is the million dollar question! What will happen indeed?
[Everyone finally notices DEATH, and, each other. They are all startled by the new discovery.]
[RANULF stops and stares at DEATH.]
DEATH
[Amused to see he is noticed]
Hey! You have all come to your senses! That wasn’t a bad time either…
[DEATH pulls his sleeve up to see his watch.]
DEAD SOLDIERS
[Angered and frightened by DEATH’s presence.]
Who are you?!
DEATH
Me? Why, I thought it would be obvious by now!
[Everyone loses their tension and looks around at each other. RANULF included.]
DEAD SOLDIERS
Um…do you know who this guy is?
No…do you?
Who is this guy?
No idea…
RANULF
Yea who is he?
[DEATH’s happy smile fades away as they continue to confound themselves.]
DEATH
Idiots…
[DEATH stands there and waits a little longer to see if anyone gets his name, but sadly, no one cares…yet.]
[With a powerful voice.]
I AM DEATH!!!!!!!!
[Everyone is shocked back to previous personality, with much more fear.]
DEATH
I thought you would be a brighter bunch after your great awakening time, but, well, I was wrong…
DEAD SOLDIERS
[Fearfully]
Wh-what are y-you supposed t-t-to do?
DEATH
My job is to come find you all so you can kick the bucket! Timing is everything, and your time was up. I am–
DEAD SOLDIERS
[In a combination of frustration and fear.]
WHAT?!?!
WHY?!?!
What’s going to happen…
Why now?
Why me?
[RANULF finally turns away and looks to the side, trying to think over what has happened.]
[DEATH holds his right hand up in the air, and they eventually quiet down.]
DEATH
Frankly, I don’t know why you are angry with me. Your own decisions brought me to you. What did you expect to come from joining the local militia? Hm?
DEAD SOLDIERS
Well I hoped to—
DEATH
No I didn’t mean literally tell me! If you would all line up in single file, we could all get going faster.
[All the DEAD SOLDIERS slowly begin to form a line. RANULF, however, stayed where he was.]
DEATH
[Seeing RANULF off to the side]
Ah, Ranulf. Could you please come join the line?
RANULF
[Still turned away.]
What if I don’t want to go?
DEATH
I’m sorry? You are speaking very—
RANULF
[Now turning to DEATH]
I said what if I don’t want to go?!?!
DEATH
I am afraid you have no choice in the matter. You forfeited your life, and now you have no where else to go but with me. There aren’t any other—
RANULF
There has to be! I will not go with you! I can’t leave…
DEATH
[Putting his hand into his cloak and drawing a sword.]
Like I have said before, you have no choice in the matter. Comply with me, or I will send you to the other world by a more direct route.
[RANULF begins to look around for his sword, finds it, then picks it up. He takes his fighting stance.]
DEATH
[A smile coming across his face.]
You think you can fight me? You think you can defeat Death, Ranulf?
RANULF
I can fight you…
DEATH
Ha! Come try me boy!
[They both lunged at each other and exchanged blows. The others around them began to watch in awe.]
[They separated and began to circle one another.]
How long will you be able to last? Hm? A minute? Two? How far are you willing to go before you realize your cause is lost?
RANULF
My cause isn’t lost, it’s just—
DEATH
Impossible? Think for a second. How do you—
RANULF
I will fight this to the end! You here me?!
DEATH
Aren’t you already there? The end has come for you. Your fight is over.
RANULF
It’s not over. It can’t be. It won’t be. I can’t!
DEATH
What is it that you fear the most, young one? Do you fear being alone after you pass on? Or do you fear me? Is that it?
RANULF
I don’t fear you…
DEATH
Or do you fear us both?
RANULF
I said I don’t fear you.
DEATH
Really?
[DEATH lifted his blade and charged. The two of them locked blades.]
DEATH
I think you do. I see it in your eyes. Is it because you don’t know what will happen to you on the other side? Or is it that you can’t leave your loved ones behind?
[RANULF is fighting an inner battle with himself as DEATH’s words tear him open.]
RANULF
[Pushing away from DEATH.]
Damn you!!
[They circle.]
DEATH
Who is it you don’t want to let go? Your mother and father? You brothers and sisters? Your closest friends?
RANULF
[Lunges at DEATH.]
Ahhh!!!!
[DEATH parries the attack and kicks him to the ground. DEATH points his sword at RANULF on the ground in front of him.]
DEATH
Stop wishing false hopes upon yourself and let go. You can’t go back for them Ranulf. You are lost to them as they should be lost to you. Give up.
RANULF
[Watching the tip of DEATH’s sword as he slowly started to get up.]
I won’t…
DEATH
You still don’t get it do you? You can’t kill me. I am Death. You—
RANULF
I don’t give a rat’s ass who you are anymore!
[He finally gets up, and he readies himself.]
I will never give up hope!
[He lunges at DEATH. They lock swords.]
DEATH
But hope has given up on you. That life is gone. Stop blaming me for your actions and move on.
[They push at each other while their swords are locked. DEATH stares deep into RANULF’s eyes.]
RANULF
That’s what I plan on doing. I will run you down!!!
[RANULF pushes DEATH backwards, and before he regains balance, RANULF shoulders him to the ground. He then points his sword down at him.]
If I strike you down, you let me go back to my life.
[DEATH gets back on his feet, completely ignoring the sword.]
DEATH
And why should I do a thing like that? What do you have to offer me? Have no collateral to offer at all. A poor business proposition young one…If anything—
[They circle, eyeing each other down. A new light sparking in RANULF’s eyes.]
RANULF
I offer my blade. It is all I have to defend myself and I have no money to buy another. It will bring me back to you sooner.
[Tensions start to die down.]
DEATH
So tell me then, what business do you still have with the living?
RANULF
Leave me to my business. Do we have a deal?
DEATH
We do not need to cross our blades for this. Do not forget that you can’t hide from me anywhere, my friend. I won’t be far.
[RANULF nods to DEATH, and he tosses his sword into the ground.]
[The lights go out when the sword hits the ground. Change scenery.]
[Lights come on, and RANULF is alone at the back of the stage.]
[Enter FATHER at front of stage.]
[RANULF sees his FATHER.]
RANULF
Father!
FATHER
Ranulf? What brings you back here? You have grown into a fine young man!
RANULF
I needed to come back. I needed to say goodbye one last time…
FATHER
If you are worrying about not being able to see your family again, don’t. You are still young, and have much to live through.
[RANULF looks down feeling guilty.]
If it is your last time seeing everyone, you still don’t have to worry. We will all be together again in the other world. If this has been worrying you enough to come here, has something happened?
RANULF
[lightening up.]
No, just close encounters…
FATHER
So that’s what happened to your sword then? That explains things…
[RANULF is at a loss of word due to the fact that his FATHER knew what happened.]
Then you have nothing to fear at all. If death is already waiting for you, your life is complete and your soul is satisfied. Enjoy the rest of your days! I will keep this secret safe for you.
RANULF
[Almost brought to tears.]
Thank you…father…
[Exit]
[Enter NARRATOR.]
NARRATOR
[To the audience.]
Sensing his son’s distress, Ranulf’s father brought him back to their house, where they celebrated Ranulf’s surprise visit with a large feast, and a big party with the family. Ranulf was able to enjoy the company of his loved ones and some of his childhood friends. As the day came to an end, he watched the sun set for the last time, and was filled with many emotions. The next morning found Ranulf walking around the woods near his village.
[Enter RANULF at back stage.]
NARRATOR
What his family didn’t know was that the night before, Ranulf had made a prayer to DEATH. His fear still remained: he did not want to die alone. He wanted to have a friend with him, someone he could trust to help him.
[Enter DEATH front stage holding RANULF’s sword. NARRATOR move off to the side.]
[RANULF sees DEATH, he stops to take a deep breath. Then walks over to DEATH.]
[They make eye contact, and both give a friendly smile.]
DEATH
[Holding out RANULF’s sword.]
Are you ready?
RANULF
[Takes the sword.]
I’m ready.
[RANULF and DEATH begin to walk to the back of the stage as the NARRATOR moves to center stage.]
NARRATOR
And so they walked. Side by side they walked on through the forest, talking about many things. No longer carrying a heavy heart, Ranulf had come to accept Death.
[RANULF and DEATH exit stage while NARRATOR speaks.]
He befriended him that day, and now was no longer alone as he made the journey to the eternal light.
[Exit]

4 comments:
AMAZING!!! I loved it!!! It has the perfect mix of humor and seriousness.
It was great! i loved the humor of death and i loved the way it ended on a more serious note. good job.
Heh... I think it was cool you had him fight death. That's pretty awesome. I like the ending too. Very serious.
It was a little hard to fllow for me at least, but very good
Post a Comment